What can I do with a Classics major?

Please visit Our Alumni page to see a list of career paths of our most recent Classics graduates. You also might find useful and encouraging information in these Psychology Today and The Atlantic articles on finding careers as Classics majors.

How do I sign up for a Classics major or minor?

See Neli Petrosyan to sign up. The process is very easy and you may declare a major or minor at any time.

Can I study Classics abroad?

Yes, there are many options available to you for studying Classics abroad. Contact UCLA’s Study Abroad program or see Professor Gurval for more information. The History dept. offers summer sessions in Rome and Greece as well.

How can I meet other Classics students, and get to know the faculty better?

Join the UCLA Classical Society. We host events on and off campus, including Pizza lunches, theater trips, and trips to the Getty Villa. You can also meet people and find out about upcoming courses through the UCLA Classics Facebook.

Which language should I take to fulfill my language requirement for the CC major? Greek or Latin?

Both languages are stimulating and extremely rewarding, and by the end of a year in either course you will be reading ancient texts in the original. Some students find Greek more challenging in the first year, and if you have little experience with languages or little understanding of the rules of grammar you may find Latin is a better choice. Elementary Greek and Latin classes (Greek and Latin 1-3) are team-taught by a faculty member and graduate students or by two graduate students. Each class is capped at 40 students and divides into two sections capped at 20. Each fall Latin 1 regularly offers three classes at different times for enrollment; Greek 1 offers only one. In reality, it doesn’t matter which language you learn, or learn first, – both are equally fascinating and have equally loyal fans. Just take your language(s) sooner rather than later!

I’m considering graduate school in Classics, which courses should I take?

Start learning Greek and Latin as early as possible. You are expected to have at least 3 years of both Latin and Greek in order to begin a graduate program in Classics. Think also about taking a course, such as CL 191, with enough time so that you will be able to submit a writing sample with your application. Graduate school applications are due Dec through January and most require a personal statement, a 15-20 page writing sample, a transcript, and 3 letters of recommendation.

I would like to write an honors thesis. How do I plan for this?

If you have a professor in mind so much the better. Make an appointment to speak with them about your proposed thesis. Plan well ahead of time. Take CL 191 in your junior year.

Can I take an exam to pass out of the Greek or Latin requirement?

We now offer an exam for Greek or Latin in the first or second week of the fall and either winter or spring quarter. You should contact Prof. Beckelhymer if you are interested in taking either one, as the exam is offered at these times only on an as-needed basis. The exam tests material that a student would be expected to know after Latin or Greek 3. It is comprised of a test of Latin or Greek forms, translation of sentences with questions about form and syntax, and translation of a paragraph of Latin or Greek text. The exam takes 3 hrs and no dictionaries or other aids are allowed. Please note that this exam is quite challenging and many students find it difficult to pass.

What is the lowest grade at which UD Classics courses may count toward the major?

A grade of D- or above counts toward the major. A 2.0 overall major GPA is required for graduation.

What is the maximum number of UD classes taken *outside* the UCLA Classics department that can be counted towards the major?


What is the maximum number of UD classes taken *outside* the UCLA Classics department that can be counted towards the minor?


When should I take Classics 191 (capstone seminar)?

in your junior or senior year. We offer CL 191 twice a year, usually in the fall and winter. If you plan to go on to graduate school in Classics, consider taking it in your junior year, if you can, so that you will have a writing sample ready to send to schools in the fall of your senior year. If you wish to write an honors thesis, you should also take CL 191 in your junior year.

I cannot enroll for Classics 191. The system says I need a PTE number. What is that?

A PTE (or “permission to enroll”) number allows you to sign up for a class. All students for CL 191 should contact the Student Affairs Officer for a PTE.

I am not a Classics Department major. Can I still take Classics 191?

If you are a minor and you have completed the prerequisites you may approach the professor about taking this course. The course is closed to all other students.